20 YEARS’ EXPERIENCE IN THE CONSTRUCTION INDUSTRY – ROBUST AND PRACTICAL SOLUTIONS.
1. ALL EMPLOYERS MUST HAVE A COMPETENT PERSON NOMINATED TO THEIR COMPANY.
Regulation 18 of the Safety, Health & Welfare at Work Act 2005. Someone qualified and experienced in H&S to advise the company and their mgmt. team on the H&S requirements specific to their industry. This is particularly important to Construction. Where in-house expertise is preferred an external consultant often takes on this role for employers. ASM is currently representing a number of contractors in this regard. In construction terms, this would be your own in-house safety manager. We provide you with a dedicated resource.
2. WHAT THE ROLE CAN COVER?
- Review of Safety Mgmt. system. Ensure the systems are suitable for the needs of the organisation. Safety statement, risk assessments, policies and procedures.
Maintaining Safety Mgmt. system up to date.
- Attending regular meetings with mgmt. team, minimum monthly.
- Preparation of a training plan for organisation. Advise on the minimum requirements and other industry standards e.g. Managing Safety In Construction
- Project-specific requirements – Safety documentation (Safety Plan, Covid Plan, Method Statement, Risk Assessment, Toolbox Talks, Audits Etc.) Assisting in the roll-out of required safety training.
- Completing audits on a monthly basis – this could be at the company premises, a construction site or other operational area.
- Assist with seeking accreditation for the organisation e.g. ISO 45001 / Safe T Cert.
- Assist with accident/incident investigation.
- Assist with tendering for project (H&S element), utilisation of ASM Safety Manager as Company Safety Manager for the purpose of tenders. Attendance at meetings with clients, acting as Organisation Safety Manager.
- Completing safety talks with staff. We would suggest a minimum monthly safety toolbox talk.
- Environmental – complete an environmental audit for the company. Establish an impacts and aspects register, create environmental policies, reporting systems and measure performance.
The environment is set to become very important, would be good to establish policies now.
Be part of ASM safety information circulation. Organisation to get emails of new legislation, interesting topics on H&S, Safety Alerts etc.
Individual contractors will have different needs and some will only require a selection of the items above with others looking for everything. Depending on the list of items required ASM can offer a monthly fee to ensure we manage those items for you. There may be an extra couple of days in the first month to complete a review and get the system to where it needs to be but after this, a set number of days per month can be agreed upon.